Black & Veatch is seeking a Mechanical HVAC / Plumbing Engineer to provide design for a variety of buildings in the Federal market sector. This position is for an experienced design engineer with a background in HVAC, piping, and plumbing design. Building types include administration/office buildings, battery storage, server rooms, manufacturing, warehouses as well as maintenance facilities. The candidate should have leadership experience, good communication skills and ability to work with a group of experienced professionals. The candidate will be responsible for executing and reviewing mechanical designs for new and existing facilities, independently or as a member of a team, including drawings, specifications, and submittal reviews.
• Ensuring project compliance with applicable codes and standards.
• Create and maintain project schedules for mid-size to large projects.
• Create and maintain mechanical project execution plan / forecast team member support for assigned projects
• Manage project team’s scope, schedule, budget and quality on assigned projects
• Assists in the production of HVAC and plumbing system deliverables (Specifications, drawings, calculations, and basis of design documents) for new buildings as well as for renovation and additions to existing facilities
• Reviews lower level engineering work or assignments for accuracy, clarity and coordination
• Actively coordinates with other disciplines, clients, and contractor on projects
• Actively mentors / shares knowledge with other staff members
• Oversees the creation and analysis of project energy modeling and life cycle cost analysis utilizing Trace 3D and BLCC.
• Ability to balance multiple complex projects at one time
• Oversees creation of 2D drawings (such as P&IDS, control diagrams, and notes) in REVIT
• Perform construction period services (review of submits, responses to RFI’s etc)
• Able to present in front of large groups that include clients, peers, contractors, and end user groups.
• Ability to travel for meetings and / or site observation
• Bachelor's degree in Mechanical or Architectural Engineering from an accredited program.
• Minimum of 15 years related work experience
• Knowledge of building mechanical codes and ability to perform accurate load calculations
• Strong HVAC / Plumbing design capability in industrial, commercial, central plants, boilers, chillers and other related markets
• Knowledgeable in sustainable design
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• US citizen
• Must be able to complete the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred design experience related to any of the following subject matters:
• Federal industry experience
• European, General MILCON, or Civil Works project experience
• Building Controls Systems Design /Building Automation
• CFD modeling
• Professional Engineer License
• LEED AP or other Sustainability
• Security Clearance or ability to get one
Requires a bachelor's degree in engineering from either a recognized accredited program in their home country or the country in which the professional is practicing. Minimum of 8 years related work experience. All applicants
must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any
applicable laws and regulations.
Most positions - depending on the nature of work performed as defined by the division - will typically require incumbents to have professional registration or licensure in their designated home office country, or be in active pursuit* of such registration.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
Typical Office environment. Physical Demands: Sitting, talking, grasping, hearing, keyboard input, driving, seeing, writing, reaching, stooping, crouching, walking, standing for extended periods of time.