A medium sized city located in the southeast seeks a Director of Operations to provide leadership and administrative direction for the safe and efficient operation of the City’s facilities and grounds. The successful candidate must exhibit excellence in staff and citizen relationships and significant experience with capital and strategic planning.
The Director of Operations provides oversight, coordination, support, and management for Public Works, Public Safety, Landscapes and Parks & Recreation facility maintenance. This position reports to the City Manager and is responsible for ensuring timely and cost-effective completion of ongoing maintenance, capital and renovation projects, disaster relief, emergency plans and supporting other departments as needed.
- Oversees the work of capital projects, renovations, facilities, grounds, and public safety staff to ensure that responsibilities are performed satisfactorily; hires, trains, evaluates, disciplines and recommends termination; develops and/or organizes the daily staffing, work activities, work flow and work processes
- Develops comprehensive annual budget for all areas of oversight; ensuring expenses are reasonable for assigned projects and do not exceed approved allocation
- Collaborates with stakeholders in the design or redesign of all spaces including community buildings and outdoor areas; assists management in identifying capital projects necessary to meet strategic planning initiatives, and renovation/refurbishment needs; provides cost and time estimates for such designs or redesigns
- Monitors assigned renovations and capital projects to ensure code compliance, quality standards, cost control, and timeliness
- Plans, develops and oversees preventative maintenance programs and the work order management system
- Works in coordination with Public Safety and Fire Chief to develop comprehensive emergency and disaster plans to include fire safety, weather emergencies, safety and evacuation plans; conducts regular drills; trains staff and citizens in proper ways to respond in the event of such an emergency
- Utilizes accepted project management methodologies to establish, implement and monitor assigned capital projects
- Identifies and works with qualified contractors and suppliers to obtain favorable pricing and timely completion of assigned projects
- Develops and evaluates cost estimates for assigned capital and renovation projects
- Provides required and/or requested periodic reporting; presents program information in formal settings before diverse audiences including citizens, management, council members and other elected officials
- Obtains periodic satisfaction surveys from citizens and/or staff regarding the effectiveness of the services provided
- Attends and fully participates in administrative staff meetings involving property maintenance, renovations, facilities, grounds, and public safety and meetings of the City Council, as well as any assigned committees of the City Manager
- Accompanies inspectors performing contracted or outside agency inspections
- Evaluates work processes and methods, staffing levels, qualifications, and training needs; assesses the quality of tools, equipment and physical resources and submits recommendations for continuous quality improvements
- Enforces department standards including attendance, dress code, code of conduct, training, personal hygiene and safety
- Ensures that staff members receive training to meet mandated standards, to develop their professional abilities and to prepare them for advancement opportunities
- Performs other duties as assigned
Bachelor's degree in engineering or related STEM field. Certified Professional Engineer and/or Project Management Professional preferred. Minimum of eight (8) years demonstrated experience or specialized certification in building/facility/property management/public works; state driver’s license
Extensive knowledge of business administration, project management principles and methodology, building/facility/property management, building fire safety, knowledge of electrical, plumbing, HVAC, refrigeration, landscaping; knowledge of facilities trends in senior living; basic computer skills and ability to use scheduling, estimating, and drafting software preferred; ability to develop comprehensive budgets; ability to maintain high performance and composure under pressure, opposition, or criticism; ability to walk, climb, stoop, bend, crawl, and work at heights; ability to withstand exposure to the elements; ability to safely lift and carry up to 50 pounds; subject to call in at odd hours and/or weekends and holidays.