The position is responsible for providing oversight and management of all engineering functions and activities at Sheppard Air Force Base to include Lake Texoma Recreations Annex and Frederick Airfield. Also, manages the Engineering Services Branch which includes base planning, engineering design, drafting, geospatial information systems, surveying, construction management, operations engineering, and technical support. Provides leadership, management, mentoring, and technical oversight to engineers, architects, associate engineers, engineering technicians, community planner, programmers, and draftsmen. Develops and maintains the installation's investment programs. Develops and maintains the installations design program. Oversees execution of the installation's construction program and warranty program.
Major Job Activities:
- Oversees the Base Community Planner in development of the SAFB General Plan, Installation Development Plan, and Area Development Plans. Oversees the development of long range infrastructure plans. Provides expertise in prioritiazation of work in preparing those plans.
- Oversees the Operations Engineering section.
- Oversees the development of contract documentation required to support all AF capital investment programs. Ensures all documentation is maintained in the AF database system, ACES, and all suspenses are met.
- Serves as facilitator and coordinator and briefer for the base Facility Board presentations.
- Leads the efforts of the engineering department design team. Establishes design goals and schedules to meet contract requirements. Ensures all work is performed using AutoCAD software and complies with Tri-Service standards. Develops and maintains the design schedule. Ensures all projects approved by the Facility Board are incorporated into the design program.
- Prepares or oversees the preparation of detailed plans and construction documents. Ensure quality control of all designs. Reviews all department products for technical accuracy, completeness, conformity to applicable codes and regulations, and thre requirements of the using/customer agency.
- Prepares detailed progress reports. Conducts status briefings and presentations to leadership and coordinates public affairs announcements involving construction activities.
- Oversees the construction management personnel and engineering technicians. Conducts non-routine and complex inspection support on major projects.
- Oversees the update of geospatial information systems and record drawings.
Work conditions range from an office environment where there is little or no physical discomfort to a flight line environment where inclement weather may subject the individual to severe changes in temperature, wind, rain, etc. May be required to work in areas where high noise hazards prevail. May be exposed to fumes, airborne particles, and electrical shock hazards.
Activities range from an office environment with extended sitting demands to a flight line environment with climbing, standing, stooping, bending, pushing, kneeling, stretching, and walking demands. May occasionally be required to lift objects whose weight exceeds 30 pounds.
Education/Certifications: Bachelor of Science Degree or higher in Engineering or Architecture. Professional Engineer professional licensure in Texas either by reciprocity or examination within 60 days of hire. Able to qualify for a SECRET security clearance.
Experience: 5 years' experience as chief of engineering responsible for infrastructure management required. 10 years architecture, civil, mechanical, electrical, and/or fire protection design experience highly preferred. Project management Professional (PMP) certification preferred. Airforce or DoD experience preferred. Ideal candidate would be a retired USAF or Army Lt.Col or higher who was a previous Chief Engineer or Base Civil Engineer and Civil Engineer Squadron or Engineer Battalion Commander.
Skills: Possess Analytical abilities necessary to handle extremely complex administrative, organizational, and contract matters. Basic knowledge of computers able to input and extract data, prepare briefings, transmit documents. Possess excellent oral, written, and communication skills; able to address a variety of audiences. Attention to detail and execute on multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment. Able to interact with customers and company employees in a courteous, professional, and effective manner. Experience in leadership and management and holding personnel and organizations to set standards.
Manages 3 immediate subordinates; overall section is comprised of 20 personnel.