Mouse over each image for caption information. Click images to download high-resolution versions

The Colebrook Dam on the West Branch of the Farmington River in Litchfield County, Conn. An Army engineer training with surveying equipment in the period just prior to World War II. The Fort Belvoir Community Hospital built by Norfolk District as part of the BRAC program, shown October 28, 2011. Ceremonial dress shako of the 102nd Engineers, New York National Guard, from between the world wars. Cpl. George Vertrear of Louisville, Ky., of the 308th Engineers, 83rd Division, clears snow off of a Belgian road, January 9, 1945. Army engineers entraining for Mexico from Fort Sam Houston, San Antonio, Tex., March 8, 1916, as part of the Mexican Punitive Expedition. The outdoor physical hydraulic model at the Waterways Experiment Station at Vicksburg, Miss., in the early 1930s allowed engineers to test the performance of hydraulic structures by measuring changes in a body of water within the scale model. Joseph Gilbert Totten (1788-1864), the longest serving Chief Engineer whose command of the Corps spanned 25 years. He was also a founding member of the Smithsonian Institution, the National Academy of Sciences, and the Lighthouse Board. First Mate Christopher Rooks of Memphis District with his model of the dredge Ockerson, 1982.
Sydney Williamson, Pacific Division Engineer of the Isthmian Canal Commission, depositing concrete in the center wall of the Miraflores locks, Panama Canal, ca. 1912-1914. Although the Corps of Engineers is part of the U.S. Army, it is primarily a civilian organization. In 2012 the Corps employed just over 35,000 people in jobs as varied as engineer and park ranger, ship captain and archaeologist, scientist and contract specialist. Topographical Engineers during the Civil War at Camp Winfield Scott near Yorktown, Va., on May 2, 1862, before the two engineer corps were reunited in 1863. The Civil Air Terminal in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia, under construction by the Mediterranean Division's Trans-East District around 1960. Sacramento District personnel drilling in 1957 at Yolo Bypass, an engineered flood control channel that protects Sacramento and other cities from overflow. Corps of Engineers contractor dredging on the Buffalo River, July 3, 1959. The Coastal Research Amphibious Buggy (CRAB) at the Corps' facility in Duck, N.C., provides a stable platform for a variety of shallow-water research operations, August 31, 2010. Construction of Mississippi River Lock and Dam No. 9 near Lynxville, Wisc., by the St. Paul District, October 14, 1937. Two members of the Corps' emergency operations team assist with the effort to clean up debris from a tornado in Cabot, Ark., April 17, 1976.
In 1941 the War Department wanted a new headquarters building to consolidate its staff in Washington, D.C. Although the project began under the Quartermaster Corps, construction of the Pentagon was handled primarily by the Corps under the direction of Maj. Clarence Renshaw. Groundbreaking occurred on September 11, 1941, and the building was considered complete on January 15, 1943. Soldiers of the 2d Engineer Battalion, 2d Infantry Division, survey for a new supply route in Korea during the Korean War, December 25, 1951. Construction of the Cleveland Aircraft Assembly Plant by the Detroit District, January 6, 1943. The Sacramento District exhibit at the California State Fair in 1967. Army engineer recruiting poster from 1919. Chief Joseph Dam under construction by the Seattle District on the Columbia River near Bridgeport, Wash., ca. 1949-1955. Unofficial shoulder sleeve insignia of the 2nd Engineer Regiment, just after World War I. Sacramento District softball team, 1943. Employees working in the Soils Laboratory at Conchas Dam, N. Mex., March 15, 1939.
Unofficial shoulder sleeve insignia of an unknown Corps of Engineers utilities maintenance organization. Engineers of the 2d Infantry Division construct a bypass for heavy equipment to cross the Hwang-gang River in Korea. Only jeeps can cross on the damaged bridge at left, September 25, 1950. A U.S. Army soldier training with explosives prior to World War II. During the war, Army engineers provided expertise in explosives placement for demolition and in removal of explosives from attempted sabotage. Detail of a map of Yorktown, Va., drawn by French engineers during the American Revolution, 1781. The center of the Fort Peck Dam hydroelectric powerhouse units at the Corps-built dam with the first and second scroll cases in place, May 12, 1941. A military bridge over the Irrawaddy River in Burma, shown in April 1945, was part of the Ledo Road, built by U.S. Army engineers and local workers during World War II to supply China. Archaeological excavations by the Baltimore District of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers on the C&O Canal. During the American Civil War, Pioneers were soldiers in the Union Army responsible for construction of roads, railroads, bridges, and fortifications. Metal replica of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers' coat of arms, adopted in 1867 and used on engineer documents through the late nineteenth century. The emblem includes both the traditional Essayons button design (left) and the Topographic Engineers insignia (right).
The wreckage of the battleship Maine was removed from Havana Harbor by the Corps of Engineers, June 16, 1911. Army engineers cross the Song Be River near Phoc Vinh, Vietnam, ca. 1960-1975. Lake Borgne Surge Barrier near New Orleans, La., July 26, 2012.
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Building Strong since 1775
Nike Ajax anti-aircraft missile battery, San Francisco Defense Area, ca. 1960. Two soldiers of the 1321st Engineer General Service Regiment in a mobile workshop somewhere in eastern France, April 10, 1945. The Corps of Engineers built the Kennedy Space Center on the east coast of Florida in the 1960s for the Apollo program. The Saturn V rockets that powered the missions to the moon were assembled in the 525-foot-tall vehicle assembly building, and the adjacent launch control center housed four command centers. The Saturn boosters were transported to the space center on large barges visible in the foreground.
Brig. Gen. Andrew A. Humphreys, Chief Topographical Engineer, Army of the Potomac, with his horse at Balloon Camp during the Civil War on June 9, 1862. Matthew Brady, photographer. The iconic U.S. Army Engineer Essayons button, first designed and worn about 1813. Engineers make observations of the current near the International Bridge just north of Lake Erie at Buffalo, N.Y., in 1899 as part of the Army engineers' effort to survey the Great Lakes. The U.S. Dredge Phoenix, shown in 1885, was not self-propelled. Its task was to dig out islands, sandbars, and other Mississippi River obstructions. Henry Bosse, photographer. A member of the Army Corps of Engineers emergency response cadre surveys debris at the World Trade Center site, September 2001. Army engineer troops haul logs down a cleared road in the course of building the Alaska-Canada Highway, ca. 1942. Army engineers constructed the highway during World War II to connect Alaska to the contiguous U.S. through Canada for the purpose of defense and supply.
A Corps of Engineers park ranger hangs a water safety poster at an unidentified Corps lake recreation site, ca. 1980s. Portland Head Lighthouse, Cape Elizabeth, Maine, ca. 1931. From 1852 to 1939, officers of the Corps of Engineers belonged to the Lighthouse Board and the Lighthouse Service, agencies charged with construction and management of the country's lighthouses. The Missile Site Radar near Nekoma, N. Dak., part of the SAFEGUARD Antiballistic Missile System, was a sensor intended to detect and track incoming missiles so they could be intercepted in flight. Construction ran from 1970 to 1975. With a project cost of $468 million, the Mickelsen complex was the largest single contract let by the Corps up to that point. A technician tests the reactor containment vessel during its installation in a barge-mounted nuclear power plant in 1966. The vessel, MH-1A Sturgis, was developed as part of the Army Nuclear Power Program, which was assigned to the Corps of Engineers. The 209th Engineers at Camp Sheridan, Ala., on their last day under arms, January 21, 1919. G. F. Jennings took the photo from a 40-foot-high tower. A painting of Fort Delaware on Pea Patch Island in the Delaware River by Seth Eastman, oil on canvas, 1870-1875.
Three officers of the 310th Engineer Regiment, part of the American Expeditionary Force sent to Russia, 1918-1920. Operators of the Sacramento District's telephone switchboard at the ready in 1943. Rome Plow operator engaging in land clearing operations in Vietnam, ca. 1967-1971. Segment of a stained glass window in the Washington National Cathedral that illustrates the Army engineer career of Robert E. Lee. The Corps of Engineers managed repairs to Kuwaiti infrastructure in the aftermath of the 1991 Persian Gulf War. SFC Paul Smith, 11th Eng Bn, was mortally wounded defending his unit's position near Baghdad International Airport on April 4, 2003. For his extraordinary heroism, Congress posthumously awarded him the Medal of Honor.
Staff of Nagadeh Project, Khaneh Area, Gulf District, Mediterranean Division, in Iran, July 14, 1959. The staff managed construction of facilities for the Iranian army as part of a military assistance program. Army Engineer recruiting poster from World War II. CRREL engineers capturing an ice core at Camp Century, Greenland. From 1961 to 1966, the research team, led by Lyle Hansen, analyzed ice from the bottom of the glacial sheet to study atmospheric conditions as long as 115,000 years ago. Named after French Engineer Captain Francois-Louis Teissedre de Fleury, of the American Revolution, the de Fleury medal is an award by the Engineer Regiment, sponsored by the Army Engineer Association, to engineer soldiers and individuals who have made significant contributions to the regiment, Army engineering, or national defense. Engineer Combat Battalions move a span of a Bailey bridge into place to build a crossing over the Rhine, south of Wesel in Germany, for use by Allied forces, March 28, 1945. 'Mom and Pop' gate attendants, Chet and Doris Wells, were part of the park staff at Beaver Lake, Ark., ca. 1980s. 'Laying the Floor of Pedro Miguel Lock' of the Panama Canal, artwork by Joseph Pennell, February 14, 1912. An officer of the 75th Engineer Light Ponton Company assists a woman into an amphibious jeep from the top of the porch of an inundated house near Biscoe, Ark., during the White River flood,  May 21, 1943. The Lincoln Memorial under construction on July 1, 1916. Army engineer officers served on both the Commission of Fine Arts, which influenced the memorial's site and design, and on the Lincoln Memorial Commission, which managed its construction.
A car tows a boat to the Discovery Park boat launch in Sacramento on the Sacramento River at its convergence with the American River, 1965. A lithograph of the Arctic Mountain Bluebird (Sialia currucoides) was included in one of the many reports made by U.S. Army Artillery and Topographical Engineer officers after their surveys of the west to ascertain the best routes for a railroad from the Mississippi River to the Pacific Ocean. Sandbagging against floodwaters, probably along the Mississippi River in Tennessee or Kentucky, in 1937. Protecting the bank of the Ohio River at Cairo, Ill., by placing stone riprap paving, October 1935. Graduates of the Engineer School at Fort Belvoir visit the Engineer Commissioner for the District of Columbia, Brig. Gen. Bernard L. Robinson (left), who points out some of the plans for future construction in Washington, June 4, 1952. Two engineer soldiers use a D-7 dozer to move rocks from an abandoned railroad bed to use in construction of a new fire base near Bau Bang, north of Lai Khe, Vietnam, March 1968. Honolulu is one of many harbors that the Corps of Engineers improves and maintains. In the late 1970s the Corps began to deepen the harbor, seen here in August 1979, which they completed in April 1981. Postwar efforts by the Corps of Engineers to clear the Corinth Canal in Greece of debris left by retreating German forces were about 55% complete by April 1948. The drift collection vessel 'Hayward' removes floating debris from New York harbor that may pose a hazard to navigation, June 1975.
Shoulder sleeve insignia of the Atomic Demolitions Platoon of the 10th Engineer Battalion. Atomic Demolitions Platoons were specialized engineer units that were created and trained to deploy small nuclear weapons on the battlefield tactically to deny the enemy use of terrain and infrastructure. Cadets at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, which began as an Army engineering school, train on the Water Battery at North Dock in 1916. An engineer soldier sharpens a blade at a sawmill on New Britain in the Pacific during World War II, June 2, 1944. Mid-nineteenth-century surveying transit. The Corps' Afghanistan Engineer District built this road from Asram to Dangam in eastern Afghanistan in 2007-2008. The U.S. steamer 'Vidette,' an Army Corps of Engineers vessel, used for inspections on the Great Lakes in the area supervised by the Duluth Engineer District, ca. 1910. The Corps' Task Force RIO and Kuwaiti contractors fight oil well fires in southern Iraq, March 2003. General Leslie Groves, the Commanding General of the Corps' Manhattan Engineer District, which designed the atomic bomb. Henry Bosse's map of the upper Mississippi River near Wabasha, Minnesota, ca. 1890.
Corps of Engineers staff check the placement of concrete dolosse in Ocean City, N.J., as part of a 1983 jetty rehabilitation project. 'The Corps Cares' promotional button, referring to environmental concerns of the 1970s. A C-54 comes in for a landing during the Berlin Airlift on the old runway at Tempelhof Airport while a grade operator works on a second runway, September 1948. Corps of Engineers personnel confer with local residents on a work project in southern Iraq, 2003. A maneuvering boat used to lift the wickets at Davis Island Dam on the Ohio River, ca. 1890. Old Lock and Dam No. 26 on the upper Mississippi River near Alton, Ill., filled to the upper pool level and ready for a downstream lockage, March 19, 1940. The 'USS Arkansas' (left) and 'USS Texas' (right) pass through the middle chambers of the Gatun Locks, Panama Canal, July 25, 1919. An 1876 lithograph titled 'The Needles, looking South-Westerly,' by J. J. Young found in the U.S. Army's 'Report of the Exploring Expedition from Santa Fe, New Mexico, to the Junction of the Grand and Green Rivers of the Great Colorado of the West in 1859 under the command of Captain John N. Macomb, Corps of Topographical Engineers.' An unofficial patch from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Saudi Arabia District, mid-1970s.
Engineer diver returning from a dive to a Japanese wreck in the Philippines during World War II, March 1945. Rich Hess of Portland District at the John Day River in Oregon examining aquatic plant life, 1991. The U.S. 'Benjamin Humphreys,' a combination snagboat and bucket dredge, operating on the lower Mississippi River, June 19, 1908. Engineering staff of the Sacramento District, 1957. A graphic of the distinctive unit insignia of the 2nd Engineer Battalion. Firefighting equipment built by Carl Metz Fire Apparatus Company, Karlsruhe, for U.S. military fire departments in Germany, Engineer Division, Repair and Utilities Branch, U.S. Army Europe, ca. 1952-1953. Backup ball-type satellite from the Corps' 1960s SECOR geodetic mapping program. Members of the 1st Engineers build a trench revetment, probably near Toul, France, during World War I, ca. 1918. Dwilette McFarland and Susan Hennington in the Aquatic Plant Control Environmental Chamber at the Waterways Experiment Station Environmental Laboratory. The two are assessing the characteristics of nuisance plants grown in various sediment types, ca. 1978.

USACE Poster 870-1-1
Office of History, Headquarters, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
2015